Monday, August 18, 2014

Black Pus/Oozing Wound Split

  First, this is not me writing about the new Judas Priest.  Oh how I want to write about the new Judas Priest but I realize that's about as un-punk as can be (It's shockingly good.  Check it out.  Don't tell the guys I said that).  No, this is me talking about the comically 90's sitcom sounding Black Pus/Oozing Wound split.  "Young man, you are not going to see the (looks down at flyer)...Black Pus, Oozing Wound concert.  And you will not be going out dressed like that" (that being an acid washed sleeveless denim jacket and matching pants, giant white high tops, and probably at best a Motley Crue shirt.)  Anyway, I digress (as I do). 
  So, I have to admit this, cred points be damned.  I don't get Black Pus.  Listening to the two tunes, the short "Blood Will Run" and the much longer (14+ minutes) "Total Eclipse" (you tell me if it is a Bonnie Tyler cover), I feel like how I imagine my girlfriend feels when listening to Slayer.  See, I hear all kinds of melody in Slayer songs but I know her ears just can't find their way into the jumble of noise.  Black Pus is one dude,  Brian Chippendale, and most of what you are hearing is just drums and vocals.  Most of what I am hearing is noise.  I am not, however, dumb enough to think you are also only hearing noise.  I know there is a place for Black Pus, it's just not in my ears.
  That said, I really picked up this split for the 3 new Oozing Wound tunes and they do not disappoint.  These local kids caught my attention a bit before the release of their debut, "Retrash".  I can't say I was sold instantly but I can say once I got it, I dug it big time.  These guys are raw power personified.  And they know their way around a riff which is, unlike food, the real way to my heart.  Splits sometimes allow bands to explore (maybe Black Pus is way more melodic on their full lengths.  I'm just here to talk about this guy) and Oozing Wound stretch out their sound a tad here.  But this is not experimentation, this is refining and maybe bringing the grunge out front a little more.  "Ganja Gremlin", especially, has a "Bleach" era Nirvana vibe without that band's robotic plodding.    The second song,"Aging Punk", starts with a pummeling circular riff and halfway through devolves into a drunken stumble. The third, "All Things Must Pass", sounds like Electric Wizard if they were more into skating and hanging out in the 7-11 parking lot than whatever it is Electric Wizard are into (I imagine it involves cloaks and is rad).  Now might be a good time to tell you to check out Fudge Tunnel's "Hate Songs In E Minor" because if any of what I am describing sounds good to you this lost gem will be right up your alley.  And that's all she wrote.  Oh, Oozing Wound also have a single, "Drug Reference" out on the Adult Swim singles collection and a new full length on the way in October (that you can pre-order here.  And look, you can get the split and "Retrash" as well.)  You can thank me later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment