Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Ranger--Where Evil Dwells



  Well this happened fast.  A week ago I had not heard of Helsinki's (yes, two Helsinki bands in a row) Ranger and now I am smitten.  Let's not kid ourselves here, though, this wasn't smitten at first sound.  When I casually skimmed P-Fork's review (yes, also another band discovered via the much mocked Pitchfork.  Props, P-Fork) and gleaned those few key words that piqued my interest (speed metal, NWOBHM, Mustaine) I figured I'd check them out via Spotify.  Alas, the new record wasn't out yet so I plowed through their first EP, "Skull Splitting Metal" and was hit with a "holy shit these guys love Destruction" vibe that took me aback.  Look, Destruction are rad.  But, let's face it, you really have to love Destruction to love Destruction.  Their albums are marred by crazy bad production, cardboard drums, and cartoon tornadoes with the band members heads adorning the top.  And let's not gloss over Marcel "Schmier" Shirmer's screeching vocals (a, let's say, acquired taste).  Therein lied the hesitation as Ranger's own Dimi Pontiac seemed to have acquired that taste.  So, while the EP had the chops, the vocals prevented full immersion.
  Fear not, fine readers, for the full length "Where Evil Dwells" Dimi has cut back on the random squeals (remember how much you wanted to love Exodus's "Bonded By Blood" but Paul Baloff just sounded so goofy?  Yeah, me too).  Oh, he shrieks a-plenty but it feels more in pocket this go round.  And that's the li'l bump this reviewer needed to go from "i just might" to "i fucking do".  The more I listen, the more I feel this would fit in snugly with all the great early 80's speed metal.  But, maybe it wouldn't have been able to exist in '82.
  What's the what, you say?  I say the influences that Ranger wear (Metallica, Destruction, Megadeth) give this record a here and now more than you realize.  Sure, bands like Whiplash were quickly absorbing Metallica's influence by the mid-80's but there is something so fully realized about this record that it feels like it required 30 years to be made.  That's plenty cool with me.  If this came out in '85 it might have gotten lost in the swirling vortex of thrash (I mean, did you know Whiplash was a band when I cited them?  I didn't until a year or so ago myself).  In 2015, this behemoth walks alone. 
  Real quick, let's point out some sweet influences.  "Deadly Feast", track number two, rides along on a straight up "Phantom Lord" riff.  Holy shit, it is so "Phantom Lord" but, next thing you know, it's plugging along on some classic Megadeth "Into The Lungs Of Hell" or second half of "Wake Up Dead" riffage, including a tweaky little guitar lick that screams Mustaine.  In one tune, these guys give us a look at what Metallica may have sounded like if that bus ticket home was never given to Dave.  And what metal album would be complete without just a little Slayer?  None worth it's salt that's for fucking sure.  Dig the intro the 10+ minute title track for some old school Slayer.  And then, blammo, it kicks in and there's Destruction all over the place.  Talk about a metal discharge (OK, Destruction has a record called, embarrassingly, "Metal Discharge" so that joke was just sitting there waiting for me to make and then explain because I'm guessing zero of you would have gotten it without my help).  
  Before you get all "yeah, but, do these guys have their own sound?" on me, let me say "YES THESE GUYS HAVE THEIR OWN SOUND!!!!!!"  They've absorbed these influences and spat out something new.  But sometimes it's easy for a guy like me to give you some cornerstones so you know what you are going to hear.  And maybe, crazy as this may seems, you don't like Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Destruction, first kisses, model trains, breathing, puppies, Tina Fey, fresh drinking water, burritos, sunsets, the smell of basil, or Caddyshack, and now you know not to bother giving a listen.  Also, I feel sorry for you.  For the rest of you level headed champions, find yourself a copy of this beast.  My vinyl copy is on the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment