Monday, December 15, 2014

Wishgift--Folk Twain EP




  Let's call this one "better late than never".  Why, you ask?  Well, Greg, because this EP is from 2011.  So why are you bothering us with it now?  Look, Greg, what's with the third degree?!  I'm bringing it up now, if you must know, because Wishgift just appeared on my radar.  You see, I went to see Oozing Wound at Cole's the other night (funny story, I didn't end up staying for the Wound.  More on that later?  Let's see where this goes first, Greg.) and Wishgift were one of the opening bands.  As always, remember that I'm coming at all of this as a 44 year old man.  Sure, I'm desperately trying to maintain my "cool" but not generally at the expense of late nights in bars watching bands I've never heard of.
  So, there was Wishgift, band 2 of 4.  I was feeling pretty good about myself (two whiskeys deep, of the two I can handle to drink) and these guys just kind of blew me away.  To be clear, it takes a lot to blow me away now.  They played hard, heavy, tricky, contorted tunes that were part punk, part prog, part post rock, and part metal.  There, I listed genres.  However you want to label them, Greg, their songs totally ripped and I was into it.
  Here's a shout out to Den and Foul Tip who were also both awesome and, due to their awesomeness, kind of allowed me to slip on out before Oozing Wound because I was hot, tired, thirsty, a tad drunk (remember, two whole whiskeys), and, most importantly, 44.  I'd seen three rad bands for free and was a 40 minute bike ride from home.  You do the math.
  Upon arriving home, I immediately ordered the Den record thinking I was ordering the Wishgift record.  I had a hard time all night knowing who was who.  That's cool, I liked Den and you'll probably be reading about them in this here blog soon enough.  Wits more about me, I found Wishgift's bandcamp page and bought the EP I'm sort of about to talk about.  As far as I can tell, it's the most recent slab of music they offer.  Hopefully, that'll change soon enough.  It's a mere 5 songs and 19 minutes, although the songs are so chalk full of ideas, time changes, and general weirdness, the whole thing feels longer.  Two influences they site seem to sum things up well enough: Jesus Lizard and King Krimson.  Manic and heavy.  But this isn't just a cacophony of sounds, these are well thought out, paced, and played songs.  It's easy to over think this stuff and lose sight of the fact that it's fun when songs stick in the brain.  Wishgift are smart and they use these smarts to maintain the rock while throwing a bunch of shit your way.  I might be three years late and maybe you knew all this already.  If so, sorry to have wasted your time.  If not, though, I'm just glad to spread the word.
  Get the EP here

No comments:

Post a Comment