Thursday, July 31, 2014

Bored Youth


Years ago while on a skate trip with Bill Danforth we began talking about early 80’s punk bands he was involved, Bill was a roadie for Negative Approach and used to frequent shows at the legendary “Freezer,” where band like NA, Necros and the Misfits often played.  Bill asked if I had ever heard the band Bored Youth, I had not so he described them and after I returned to Denver I went online to find any recording of them that I could.  After finding a recording of their 1990 bootleg I was hooked, this band draws influence from not only Black Flag and Minor Threat but also from my favorite British bands like Sham 69 and the Cockney Rejects. They play songs that a driving and fast like labeled to the limit and songs that are more of a catchy slows sing along like Outcast.  This last month I walked into a record store and saw Alornas Dreams finally released Bored Youth’s LP that was recorded but never made it to vinyl.  Side A is the actual studio recording and side B is a live performance that they’ve cleaned up quite a bit. Even though they formed in 1979 these recordings have survived the test of time and still sound fresh and original.  What’s unique about this band is that they were not abound the hardcore scene that was already going, apparently John Brannon (NA) and a couple guys from the Necros found out about Bored Youth and went and saw them one night and got them involved with the hardcore scene that was in full swing.  Do yourself a favor and check this band out!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment